Lighthouse Point History
Lighthouse Point is a campground style resort located at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. The resort opened in 2001 at the tip of the 364 acre peninsula. Even tho the resort didn't open until 2001, its history begins all the way back in 1839 when the Cedar Point Lighthouse was built.
Cedar Point Lighthouse was built in 1839. The lighthouse was built to help boats in the lake see where the shore of the peninsula was so they could dock their boats safely. The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1853. The winds are very strong on Lake Erie witch caused the fist two lighthouses to fall into disrepair.
In 2018 Lighthouse Point Resort was expanded to include 25 new Ultimate RV sites. This now brings the resort to: 64 cottages, 40 cabins, 97 RV sites, 52 deluxe cabins and 25 Ultimate RV sites. A new shower house is added to the area closest to the Ultimate RV sites. This new expansion is located where Breaker water Cafe and the parking lot for Breaker water Cafe was.
Historical photos and concept art by Cedar Point. Modern photos by Jake Hamons.
Last Updated: 12/12/2018