Cedar Creek Mine Ride
50th anniversary edition
The 1950's was a bad time for Cedar Point. The park was still not doing good because, it was still trying to recover from the depression. Building and riders were falling into disrepair, but that would soon change. In 1956, Cedar Point would be bought by George Roose and Emile Legros. Their original plan was to demolish the park and redevelop it as a housing community. The public rebelled and they decided to turn Cedar Point into the "Disneyland of the Midwest!". In 1961 Cedar Point added Riverboat Cruise, it would be renamed several times over the years eventually becoming Paddlewheel Excursions. Guest would never have to ride a roller coaster just to see the sights from above when Sky Ride opened in 1962. In 1963 Cedar Point and Lake Erie Railroad gave guest a trip thru the woods and along the parks lagoons. Blue Streak became the first major roller coaster built at Cedar Point since 1929. In 1965, Space Spiral because the tallest ride in the world with the slogan ''New Heights in Fun''. In 1966 Pirate Ride was moved to Cedar Point from Freedom land. In 1967, Frontier Town opened. In 1968, Frontier Town was expanded with the Golden Palace Theater and Town Hall Museum. More would come in 1969 when Cedar Creek Mine Ride opened. The story of Cedar Creek Mine Ride begins in 1967.
In 1967 Cedar Point opened Frontier Town. When Frontier Town originally opened the area was very small. The only way to get to Frontier Town was to ride the Cedar Point and Lake Erie Railroad, A new station stop was added so guest could get on and off the trail. The original station looked like the main station.
Frontier Town opened with the General Store as its only gift shop. Today the original General Store is home to The Emporium.
Frontier Town had just one ride, Shoot-the-rapids. Shoot-the-rapids was a small log flume located near the train station. Frontier Town was very small but that would soon change. Frontier Town was also home to Town Hall, a guest services center.
In 1968 Frontier Town received a number of improvements that doubled the size of the town. Frontier Lift was added to help bring guest to the section of the park. Frontier Lift was a Sky Ride that was located over the lagoons. The ride had a station near the Main Midway and in Frontier Town. Frontier Lift lasted until 1985. Next to Frontier Lift, Town Hall Museum was enlarged. Town Hall acts as an actual museum and Guest Services.
Near the train station Cedar Point added Golden Palace Theater, Last Chance Salon, and Chuck Wagon.
With all these new and impressive changes, Cedar Point was still not done expanding Frontier Town. 1969 would see the biggest expansion yet.
In 1969 Frontier Town was expanded once again. The area received 2 new food stands, an arcade, a small restaurant, Antique Cars and the start attraction of the area, Cedar Creek Mine Ride. This new expansion finally made Frontier Town the basic circular midway that is still in place today.
All these new editions helped make Frontier Town a major midway at Cedar Point.
When Cedar Creek Mine Ride opened in 1969, it took up more space then any other roller coaster in the park!
Cedar Creek Mine Ride was built by Arrow Dynamics of Clearfield, Utah. Arrow had built several other rides for Cedar Point including: Turnpike Cars (1959-2014), Cadillac Cars (1958), Mill Race (1963-1993), Earthquake (1965-1984), Pirate Ride (1966-1996), Shoot-the-rapids (1967-1981),Antique Cars (1969). Arrow would later return to build several more Arrow rides including: Corkscrew (1976), Gemini (1978), White Water Landing (1982-2005) and Iron Dragon (1987), Magnum XL-200 (1989), and Snake River Falls (1993).
Cedar Creek Mine Ride was designed by Ron Toomer. Ron was a NASA engineer who got bored with his job. After a job hunt, he joined the Arrow Development Company. He would then develop some of the world's best rides ever built. Cedar Creek Mine Ride would be the first ride built by Arrow at Cedar Point to be designed by Ron Toomer.
The line then snakes its way into the station building.. The wait for this ride is usually a walk on when the park is slow. When the park is busy the line usually don't get any longer then around 20 minutes.
The station is themed as a Mining Company. While there isn't no actually theming inside the building other then a few painted signs.
After the ride operator gives the ''all clear'' the ride begins.